Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry

Throughout this essay I will be reviewing the key aspects and stepping stones which have helped me along the way to develop my line of inquiry since starting module 2.

Our first task was to review reader 4 on Professional Inquiry and develop a set of questions that are relevant to our practice (Appendix 1). Looking back at my initial ideas for questions I can now see I was trying to cover far to broad an area. I had sent Alan an email regarding feedback for my questions and he helped me to understand that by trying to investigate such a vast area of ideas, I would only end up with the most superficial look at each (Appendix 2).

Taking Alans advice on board I decided to approach my fellow cast members with a set of questions (Appendix 3). Using the information gathered from these questions I narrowed down my ideas to focus on one specific line of inquiry I believed would be the most rewarding to myself and other professionals within my industry.

I now understand my investigation is not to prove something but to find out something new that could benefit others. Following this realisation I then got to investigating literature closely related to my questions (Appendix 4). After reading several articles it has filled me with more confidence in my line of inquiry and its importance.

Reader 5 then brought Ethics to my attention. Without realising it, I was always applying ethics in my day to day life, but after reading reader 5 I am now fully aware of the code of ethics within my professional practice and its importance (Appendix 5). It is extremely vital when undertaking my inquiry that I apply all that I have learned about ethics to guarantee it is ethically sound. (Appendix 6). Now that i have a greater knowledge of ethics it has allowed me to explore areas of my inquiry in a much safer manner, making sure to protect myself and to protect and support those participating.

To gain a better understanding of which inquiry tools would work best for me, I studied reader 6 and set aside time to conduct several pilots using a member of my SIG for feedback (Appendix 7). I then took the time to reflect upon each method deliberating the pros and cons of each. I also considered the quantitative and qualitative data that could be obtained, and came to my conclusion of which methods would work best for me (Appendix 8).

After completing module 2 I feel I am now confident enough to carry out my professional inquiry in an ethically sound way, using the tools i have chosen as most beneficial to me. I believe I have grown as a professional throughout this module, as it has continuously challenged me to think outside the box. It has developed my skills extensively and allowed me to develop and grow personally, taking me one more confident step closer to the final module.



No comments:

Post a Comment