Thursday, March 20, 2014

Task 5D

Today I managed to have a quick skype call with my friend Hannah Stewart who is part of my SIG group. We discussed the ethical dimensions of my proposed inquiry and as she is one module ahead of me she could give me a lot of great advice and feedback. She helped to bring to light to me the importance of making my inquiry ethically sound to protect myself and also those who volunteer their information to me.

Here are some of the main points when conducting an ethical inquiry our discussion brought to light for me:

  • Always insure data collection is accurate, valid and relevant - only ask questions that are relevant to the inquiry do not divulge from the specific topic being researched.
  • Always make sure data collected is stored safely and appropriately, whether this be electronically on a database or spreadsheet on a locked computer or manually by sorting papers and keeping them in a locked filing cabinet.
  • Be respectful to your research participants - explain fully the purpose of your research and let then know if they are not comfortable answering questions they can leave at any time.
  • Give your contact details to participants so they are ablet to contact you incase they have any further questions or queries. 
  • If your participants are under the age of 18 make sure you get parental permission form signed.
  • Manage resources efficiently, for example time management - let the participant know how long you will need them for and do not exceed this allocated time.
  • When giving out surveys to be filled out and completed, keep feedback completely anonymous as this gives people more confidence and freedom to speak, in turn giving you a more truthful honest answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment